Wednesday 4 September 2019

Spoon Collection - Georgian

Fiddle back Georgian Spoon

Found in the op-shop cutlery box!  I looked at photos of old coins of the period and included these in the work - tuppence and sixpence.


Fiddle Back Georgian Spoon – John Blake Silversmith (1827)
Nearly 200 years ago, from the finest silver I was made and out of London I sailed. On a colony ship, in the King’s service, we came to tame this land. Round the Horn we laboured and blown by the roaring 40’s we finally landed at a dismal village by swamp named Melbourne. On the Captains table and Officer’s mess my silver had reflected in the candlelight. I came ashore and I passed into use on the sideboards of the elite of the colony. Oh! the sights I have seen and the people I met who admired my glow and used me well. But I was parted from my canteen mates, stolen and pawned, abused and neglected.  Finally, I languished, bashed, battered and dented in the reject jar at the Op Shop where you rescued me. A polish can restore my gleam, but not my youth. Would that I could speak and tell you a tale or two!


No comments:

Post a Comment