Monday 29 March 2021

Following a thread...

 A few days ago I was looking at the internet, doing a few searches about my exhibition when I found a wonderful Fiber Artist who happens to share the same surname as myself! Of course I was curious and immediately checked out her website: sueweil.com

It turns out that Sue practices her art in the Bay Area near where I spent my childhood. It doesn't appear that we are related - or at least not for many, many generations past. But a visit to her studio in San Rafael is now on my list of 'must see' when I next am in California. Here is hoping that our international borders open soon and vaccination is available sooner!

I am delighted to introduce you to her work. Fiber and Textile art has always interested me, although I have never learned the techniques myself. But I stand in wonder at how an artist can achieve movement and color through manipulating hanks of wool and threads to create woven works of art. Sue is a master in this art form. I love how her works have textures built up through the weave or from pulled warps. The use of color, balance and composition in her fiber art is to be admired.

Her works range from representational (Glacial Pools), colorful abstractions such as Reaching Out, to whimsical (Jazz Notes). You will often be attracted by the design and composition of a piece, then read the title and suddenly it clicks into place, and the work takes you to another level (Real News, or A Beautiful Wall is still a Barrier).

 I highly recommend you visit her website to see some of her work : here

No comments:

Post a Comment