Wednesday 16 June 2021

Chops, by GW

 A Thursday Nooner drawing

GW has sent me her drawing of 'Chops' the beagle that she has been working on during Thursday afternoon classes. Chops has a strong graphic feel to it. Instead of trying to create photographic realism in the fur she has been clever with her use of tonal ranges creating blocks of linear tones to indicate dark and lighter fur. I think this works very well and has a good effect. GW has handled the proportions well, paying especial attention to getting the size of the feet correct and accurate drawing of the claws. Chops has a pinkish nose from memory and this translates well in the mid tone range. The nose is slightly lopsided, but Chops is in a pose that would smoosh the nose sideways so I think it works.

I would like to see some indication of the body of the dog on the right hand side of the work. It does not need to be realized fur, I think GW could use simple line outline to indicate the form. GW has done this already with the right side of the nose and this could be continued in the body form to complete the shapes. See my mock below GW's drawing for my suggestion.

Overall a very pleasing drawing of a soulful looking beagle. Well done GW.

'Chops' by GW

Suggested addition of linear form to indicate the body. Note that I probably have the 'elbow' in the wrong position/too short, but you can see how this will help to finish the work.




No comments:

Post a Comment