Thursday 13 September 2018

The Old Horse Barn

Along Hwy 101, south of Mendecino


Graphite pencil drawing on Lana cold press Aquarelle (reverse side). 
I took this photo along Hwy 101 on a recent road trip up the California and Oregon Coast. I love  old disused barns and decided to draw this one as a demonstration as 'Landscape drawing in Graphite' for my Wednesday and Friday classes. I usually use a hot press paper so working on the cold was a bit of a challenge - although I did use the slightly smoother 'wrong' side of the paper. Additionally, I do not often use paper stumps or tortillions, but I did so on this work to help blend the tones into the rougher surface and create soft tonal under layers.
2H, HB, 2B, F and 4B were used - HB/2B blended with the paper stump. 2H and HB points for sharper detail. F pencil for tonal blending and the 4B to punch in some darks. This took maybe 8 hours all up? Thereabouts. Finished size is a tad over A4.

No comments:

Post a Comment