Wednesday 26 February 2020

Red Chalk Lion

Demonstration Piece

I did this drawing yesterday as a demonstration piece during my Wednesday class. When using the chalks people often try to draw the 'colour', but you need to think of the tone instead. The best way I can explin is to look at your colour reference and ask yourself; 'How would I draw that in graphite?' Then, think of the red chalk as your first tone (like an HB maybe). The tone of the paper in this instance is the mid tone. The Sepia and Umber chalks are the dark tones.

I felt a full demo drawing would help get across the idea of using the Sanguine/Sepia/Umber chalks as tone not colour. My lion is a bit wonky proportionally, but he looks like a lion at least!

Time: One Hour
Medium: Staedtler Mars Pastel Pencils as the skull drawing. Some tortillion use, some kneadable eraser/blue tack  lifting off.
Paper: Strathmore Toned Tan
Reference: Photo of a Werribee zoo lion taken in 2018




No comments:

Post a Comment