Saturday 4 December 2021

Nice Things 2

 One of my Thursday Afternoon Drawing students is a Mosaic Artist. GW's drawings often reflect her interest in mosaic by using tonal blocks to create form and shape. She has an excellent eye for form, tone and color. GW presented to me one of her fabulous mosaic's as a Christmas gift. 

This lively cockatoo is done in specialized mosaic glass - GW did tell me and I think the term was 'smalti' glass. She buys large sheets of the glass direct from Italy and cuts it into the shapes she needs. A pains-taking and somewhat dangerous process! This type of glass doesn't fade or change color so is perfect for outdoor use. The designs she creates are her own and this cockatoo is part of her bird range of tiles. The tiles have holes in the sides and are made to attach to a garden trellis.

If anyone would like to see more of GW's mosaic works, please contact me via the menu right and I will put her in touch with you. They are very special works. Thank you GW!

'Cockatoo' by Gayle Whyte

﹎﹎﹎﹎﹎﹎﹎﹎﹎﹎

More in my garden...

I am not a great gardener. And living in the Sand Belt it can be difficult to get things established and growing. I sort of have a 50/50 strike rate for seedlings surviving - even in our current wet spring.

But I have strawberries! Okay, only a few in a pot in a grow bag, and they are somewhat deformed, but I have strawberries! And they taste GREAT even if they look odd. It is a race to get to them before the blackbirds though.


Strawberries!

﹎﹎﹎﹎﹎﹎﹎﹎﹎﹎

The Biblio Art Prize opens this coming weekend in Port Fairy. There will be no opening event, but the exhibition will run from Saturday 11 December until the end of February. Why not take a short weekend break and visit the Great Ocean Road and Port Fairy? I will be in Port Fairy this weekend if you are in the area and would like to catch up. Let Jo know when you are there and she will contact me.


My entry this year is my response to the book 'Friends and Dark Shapes' by the Australian author, Kavita Bedford.


Artwork for 'Friends and Dark Shapes' Linda Weil

Blarney Books and Art

37 James Street Port Fairy, Victoria 3284

5568 2174

0437 754847

insta:     blarneybooksandart

email:    jo@blarneybooks.com.au

December Opening Hours:

Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sun 11am - 5pm.

Closed: 18-28 December.

January Opening Hours:
Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sat  11am - 5pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment