Wednesday 28 February 2018

Nature Journal Page

Bat Wing

My Wednesday afternoon class did a session of journalling together. Most drew the wonderful old building next to the CCC with its' convoluted rear stair case. Although I thought it was interesting and did a quick sketch myself, what really caught my eye was the remains of a bat wing with the claws fully attached I found on the grass. There were a few 'ewws' muttered, but I found it fascinating to study and draw - being careful not to touch it with bare hands! 
Too large for a micro bat, I thought too small for a flying fox, but research tells me that it probably was a Grey Headed Flying fox , perhaps a small or young one. The claws look appropriate for that species . We have been having very hot weather lately, very warm nights and it may have succumbed to heat stress. Otherwise cats?
Sketch done in my Fabriano Journal using Derwent watersoluble 4b graphite pencil washed, then a Staedler Mars Lumograph Black 4b pencil and finished with a bit of ink from a Copic .7 multiliner.

No comments:

Post a Comment