Monday 19 July 2021

JMcG takes the Challenge!

 JMcG tells me that she has never drawn botanicals before - well, I think she should do some more because she has nailed this sprig of bamboo! And she also discovered one of the 'joys' of drawing botanicals from life... they wilt and die quickly so you cannot wait too long to get it onto the page.

JMcG has observed the plant very well in this graphite drawing, noting the Alternate placing of the Linear leaves on the stem. She has also included a cast shadow which really helps to give the leaves a 3-D feel. Her notes read:

"Bambusa Multiplexer. Upright clumping bamboo originates from cold areas of China and Japan.
Fen Suān zhu shŭ"  (then some Japanese/Chinese characters I cannot reproduce)

Upright Bamboo by JMcG

And for those of you who are thinking 'gee Linda knows a lot about leaves', nah, I just use this handy  simplified reference chart I found on google from Sarah Abbot






No comments:

Post a Comment