Thursday 23 September 2021

Covid #6 Challenge: White is challenging!

So, I guess I scared off a few of you with this one! Yes, white on white is confronting and 'negative' drawing can be tricky. But once you have tried it a few times and begin to understand how it works it becomes an invaluable technique in your toolbox.

I am pleased to see JH's challenge drawing. She chose to duplicate the white rose I created, using my photo and the step by step work sheet to assist. Great to see, and I hope it helped some in understanding the process JH. A bit like a Great British Bake Off Technical Challenge, my step sheets don't give a lot of detail. Just enough to show the way and let you develop a work in your own style.

JH's rose is nicely formed, good darks and lights with plenty of tonal variation. She has a very painterly style with pencils that suits the subject well. My only suggestion would be to have less of a hard edge to the surrounding background by fading it off more. A lovely rose, JH, well done. 

'Rose Study' by JH

﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏

GW took the challenge as well, creating a good drawing of a Corella, one of her favorite birds. The background and dark roof set off the shape of the bird well - the shape is also well drawn. Features on the bird are nicely observed, although you have turned the head a bit away compared to the photo reference you sent me, GW.  You have not really done much tonal work in the feathers but I like the way you have created a mosaic like feel to them. The feet could be better, but you told me you are aware of this. It is good when you can see this sort of error yourself without me pointing it out! I would suggest that you try drawing the feet alone on a separate sheet of paper just to experiment and learn more about them.

Overall it is a good drawing. One thing that I think could make it more effective would be to consider doing more with the background surround. A bit like JH's above, it ends rather abruptly. But with your drawing, this edge suits your style, so why not develop it further? Maybe create a silhouette tree edge and extend it more to balance the work better. I did a fiddle in Paint to show you what I mean (below).

'Corella' by GW

Background suggestion for GW's Corella. GW could also 'square' off the edges of the background and the roof line to create a more finished appearance. Either with the pencil or by using a mat.

﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏

I am currently working on the next challenge piece and it will take the weekend to complete. Warning, it will be more white on white! And it would be helpful to you if you did this first challenge before attempting the second. So you have a couple more days to play around with this. Have a go!

No comments:

Post a Comment