Thursday 13 January 2022

Jack

 I had a great time over the past two days running my 'Animal Portrait in Pastel Pencil' workshop. It was a nice group of friendly ladies, each of whom created a wonderful and individual work. We spent a lot of time trying out different techniques using the pencils to blend, mix, wash and make marks and textures on a sanded support before beginning our piece:

A sample of some of the tests we did © Linda Weil

I did a demonstration work progressively over the two days to show how these techniques work and to illustrate 'dark to light' pastel pencil drawing. I choose an open source reference photo of a Jack Rabbit. I have seen these critters on my trips through the US mid-west and love the long ears and loping hop-walk they have. The work was drawn on Art Spectrum ColourFix medium paper. The background was created using soft pastel pencils that was then blended and lightly washed using a stippling brush. The hare was drawn with CarbOthello pastel pencils and touched up with a bright white Sennelier pastel stick.

'Jack' by Linda Weil ©

﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏

And for those who like ink! This week's Inktober52 prompt is a tricky one:

...I need to think about this one for a day or so! Watch this blog....

No comments:

Post a Comment