Saturday 3 December 2022

A Highly Commended!

 Here is a bit of fun - my somewhat silly and whimsical sculpture, 'The Drunken Mermaid' won a Highly Commended award at the VAS Maritime Exhibition this afternoon.

It is to laugh - such a silly little sculpture. It was fun to sculpt, and I enjoyed making it as kitsch as possible using pearlescence paint and touches of gold leaf. I just entered it into the show for a bit of a giggle... and I am still grinning over the recognition. 

The judge was very sweet, and he told me he really wanted to also give me a HC for one of my steampunk maritime drawings, but he only had so many awards to give out, so the Mermaid made the cut in the sculpture section instead. His name is Claude Ciccone, and he does some fabulous boat sculptures from found objects and wonderful tonalist paintings. 

You can see some of his works on Instagram or Blue Thumb


'The Drunken Mermaid' by Linda Weil©


No comments:

Post a Comment