Thursday 18 June 2020

Drawing Prompt #8: MP, Jean and MEG

MP's cat, Truffles

Truffles is an eldery tortoiseshell Burmese has a  lot of attitude but loves nothing better than sitting on MP's lap and being petted. MP has used Canson 300gsm Hot Press paper with Prismacolour watercolour pencils to create light under washes and Prismacolour Premier pencils as over drawing. You will note if you enlarge the image that this Canson paper has a little bit of tooth to it, more so than other Hot Press papers. This gives a nice texture to the drawing and although it can be tricky to work with, MP had succeeded very well. I love those eyes! Extremely engaging - you can tell from his eyes that Truffles isn't going to stand for any nonesense and if you try, he will tell you about it! The ears are elongated and tall as typical with a burmese, but I wonder if they should have been a bit wider at the base? Also, from what little I know of the breed they often have a dark edge on their ears - but Truffles may not. I think that MP could study her cat's nose a little more closely next time he is sitting on her lap, it is not quite defined enough here on her drawing. MP's fur is nicely done, she has used the darks to create shadows and forms, allowing the lights to become hair. Proportions are very good overall. I think this a successful drawing and an engaging portrait of a beloved feline.
 
'Truffles' by MP

Jean

Jean has sent this WIP she has been working on - her niece's border collie pup. She has used 2B and HB pencil on Fabriano Hot Press paper. She has asked me for some tips on fur drawing and once again I would direct people to Mike Sibley's drawing TUTORIAL - it is a great place to start.  I think that Jean has done well with her fur generally. I can tell that she is now aware of working her line strokes to create darker shadow hairs, thus forming the lighter hair. I feel that her line work could be a little more random, as the pup looks like his fur has just been combed straight. One thing I am having an issue with is what I 'think' are the ears. I cannot really tell where the ears start and the head ends, it is sort of a triangular shape. I assume that the ears are folding over rather than upright, but the hair strokes just go straight out. If the ears are folded, then the hair should be curved downward to indicate this. As well, more shadow values where the ear flops onto the face would help to create that fold over feel. Perhaps Jeans reference was too dark to see this happening, but google is a wonderful resorce and there are many puppy images to find to assist in understanding how the ears work. I have just found this one HERE Again, I enjoy Jeans style of work and line strokes. Her linework is loose and free but has control. It suits this drawing well, and this is a very cute puppy. I have also just found a cat drawing video that shows a looser drawing style similar to yours you may want to watch - CAT.  Keep going Jean!

'Border Collie Pup' WIP by Jean

Where I think the ears should be/work

MEG

MEG began this drawing during our Thursday night sessions when we were all experimenting with Prismacolour style pencils. She has since completed the work on her own - and has done a lovely work. 
'Willow' is drawn on Arches hot press paper with a selection of Prismacolour pencils. I would also like to point out that MEG has done this freehand - no tracing or gridding - straight to the paper. Willow is very well drawn, MEG has incorporated violets and blues into the fur to add value and shading. The softness of the fur and short fuzz on the nose works nicely. The pose is good and the eye has an introspective feel to it, you can just tell that Willow is loving that pat!
What I am not too happy with is the hand. The blue caftan is overlapping the hand and to me this doesn't quite work as it visually changes the shape of the hand - maybe add some white highlight to the outward fold to bring forward from the hand. The dark outline around the nail of the thumb I would suggest taking back - in fact maybe all the dark lines in the hand should be lifted back slightly and some more flesh/yellow tone added. I think some extra light on top of Willows head would help and highlight on the ring. I don't know if MEG needs to work much more on this as it would be easy to go too far. I did do a little tweak in 3D paint to show what I am talking about. But MEG, this is a very good drawing as it stands, do not feel you have to do more on it if you do not want to risk it. It is good work.

'Willow' by MEG

Tweaks on 'Willow' by Linda - but maybe not quite that much highlight on the fabric!

No comments:

Post a Comment