Wednesday 17 June 2020

Drawing Prompt #8: Lyndall

'Spud'

Lyndall worked with me last summer at Camp Creative creating this lovely drawing of 'Spud'.  The class was working on Strathmore Tan Toned paper with coloured pencils - Lyndall has used Derwent art quality pencils. She is showing her WIP here and wanting some suggestions on how to complete the work.
First I want to say to Lyndall what a fantastic job she has done so far. Her use of layering of line work and allowing the colours to blend and create form and texture is excellent. She has caught the cheerful expression of this dog's face very well. The pink of the tounge and mouth is very pink and perhaps could be toned down with a Derwent Grey/French Grey pencil to reduce the candy pink effect.  I love the blues used in the fur and nose, creating form and darks withouth resorting to black.
When Lyndall first discussed this work with me I was a little concerned about the pose. The head is very engaging, but I wasn't sure that the feet or body shape would work. She decided to proceed and see how it went.  After returning from the workshop and continuing to work on Spud, she began to feel that she didn't want to include the feet and body after all and has asked my for my help.

'Spud' WIP by Lyndall

I think the first thing that you need to do Lyndall is to try and imagine how Spud would look if he was sitting upright, not laying down. (see stick figure sketch in image below) That would mean removing the line on the top right that indicates where his back is in this pose. While you are at it, remove the legs.
Now that you are thinking about Sput sitting up, think how that pose would push his chest forward slightly. Visually crop the image to almost a square shape that will make this more of a classic portrait. Now you will need to continue the fur in a downward progression. See my rough Paint version below. You will see how I have pushed the chest under the chin forward a bit and then extended the body shape downward. I haven't tried to put in any shoulder forms or detailed muscluature.  Don't invent too much and keep the detail in the face and softer fur in the new area. I think you will need to add shadow tone (same blues) under the chin. If you like, you could also add a collar or chain around his neck to reinforce the neck shape. Don't finish off the fur in a hard edge, but softly allow it to fade away.
I think that could work! What do you think Lyndall? 

Suggested 'Spud' modification Linda Weil

No comments:

Post a Comment