Saturday 27 June 2020

Drawing Prompt Week 10

Final prompt for Term 2

'Landscape'

That's right! Last week we got up close and personal. This final week I'd like you to step back and take in a view. Mountains, valleys, seascape, city/urbanscape - the larger picture. It would be preferable if you did plein air, but it is a touch cool at the moment so if you are uncomfortable outside then use a photo. Again, I would hope that this is a photo of something you have taken and seen, not a web image. Remember, a pretty picture from the web is a rather lazy cheat - the photographer has already done your thinking for you in compositon and lighting. 
Your medium should be 'mixed'. By that I mean combine a few things together. Watercolour (pencils or pans), colour pencil, ink (or inktense) , pens, charcoal, pastel. Throw on some surfactant like salt or alcohol if you like. Make a mess, push it back into shape, have fun. 
I needed to go to Bendigo this week, and on the way home I took a hike up to the top of Hanging Rock. Whew - thought I was going to die - that hill is steep! I got to the Saddle and wasn't too disappointed that the last 300metres to the Summit had been closed due to Covid. But while I was waiting for my heart to stop trying to leap out of my chest, I sat down and did a small landscape drawing of the rocks and view.

'Hanging Rock' by Linda Weil
Method: Initial drawing in Derwent 4B watersoluble graphite then washed to create tone blocks. Once dry Windsor Newton Pan Watercolour washes to add some colours. On top of that Adel Black pen that was also wetted to create interesting blocks of tone and finally, some dry Adel pen for details. Windsor Newton 300gsm Watercolour sketchbook, A5.  It took about 45 minutes and a cold bottom to complete.
 
This is the last prompt in this Term 2 series. I hope you have enjoyed it - I have certainly loved seeing all the works you have produced in this lock-down time. I will be returning to teaching at the Victorian Artists Society for Term 3, starting on July 13.

No comments:

Post a Comment