Sunday 21 June 2020

Drawing Prompt Week 9

Theme: Detail - Up Close and Personal

This week I would like to see you concentrate on detail, get close and look at the intricacy of your subject. I am not talking about miniatures, but life sized small work. Choice of subject is up to you, but I suggest you keep it to A5 image area or similar.  You may choose to do a complete object study such as the spoon or marguerite shown here. Or you may want to try a part or section only of a subject, as the eye drawing below.
Use your favourite medium but remember that it needs to be able to handle a level of precision that detail will require. I am not looking for photo realism as that is not suited everyone's particular style, but I am looking for close observation. Use any and all methods in your drawing arsenal such as; indenting, lifting/erasing out highlights, paperstumps, a broad range of tone or hue, etc. I also suggest a hot press paper or smoother pastel paper is best to achieve more detail. Have fun, concentrate for a couple of hours on the detail and forget about the rest of the world.

'Spoon 1' by Linda Weil. 
Just completed this week as part of my upcoming Medallion Exhibition at AGRA, 5 - 23 August.  I used graphite pencils (F, HB, 2B, 2H) and Staedtler Mars Karat watercolour pencils wet and dry on A4 Lana 250gsm Bristol board. An insane amount of indenting was needed on this spoon!


'Marguerite' by Linda Weil
Graphite pencils HB, 2B and F on Lana Hot Press 300gsm  12 x 20 cm. Some paper stump work in the shading, but not too much. My middle mane is Margaret, after my grandmother Marguerite.


'Eye of the Tiger' by Linda Weil
Carbethello pastel pencils on Art Spectrum grey suede paper. Image area 10 x 10". Some soft white pastel also used for bright white highlights.

This will be the penultimate drawing Prompts for this term, Prompt 10 next week will be the final for this series. I will resume teaching irl on July 13 if all goes well. I hope those of you that will be returning to my class or any future workshop will bring your Prompt drawings in to show.

No comments:

Post a Comment