Tuesday 7 July 2020

Art in the time of Covid: Take 2

Groundhog day

Does it feel like we have been here before? Tonight Melbourne goes into lockdown for 6 weeks. I feel for all who are impacted by this shutdown, it is going to be a difficult time for everyone. With this closure, this also means all classes have been cancelled for Term 3. I was looking forward to seeing some of you again next week, but for everyone's health and safety I believe this lockdown is a necessary step.
Once again you will be juggling work, children, school and worrying how to pay the mortgage. Your mental health is important and I would like to encourage you to take an hour or two each week for yourself - and the best use of that hour IMO is to draw!
So with that in mind, I will offer a series of drawing prompts again for Term 3. Same rules apply, except THE DEADLINE IS EXTENDED. Work will now be accepted up to Sunday afternoon (Melbourne time). This may mean your work is not critiqued until Tuesday or so but I will try my best to post it as soon as I can. A new prompt will be posted on late Sunday night as previous, so there may be some overlap.
Please, remember to name your .jpg files correctly as:
Your Name_Week Number
The first prompt will be posted on Sunday, July 19. 

The Kenneth Jack Drawing Prize

On a happier note, I was pleased to be told that I have won the 1st Prize in the Drawing section of the 2020 Kenneth Jack Memorial Drawing Award at AGRA. This was really happy news. I have supported this prize since its inception some 13 years ago and it is an honour for my work to be recognised this way.
Although AGRA Galleries will be closed now for 6 weeks 🤒 you can still view the exhibition online HERE.
My work that won the prize was the graphite drawing of drawing of a nesting Frogmouth - you may have seen this work posted here previously.

'It's MY nest' by Linda Weil
1st Prize Drawing Section 2020 KJMDA

Everyone please stay safe!
😷


No comments:

Post a Comment