Monday 13 July 2020

Squint

Burmese Cat

I have been drawing intensively for the past few months during our Covid lock down. Lots of very detailed, precise pencil works. Most of these are due for either the AGRA Medallion exhibition  or my solo at Tacit Galleries. Dates of these exhibitions are currently up in the air - when, and if they go ahead I will let you all know. 
But yesterday I really wanted a break from all that intense focus. I remembered some great photos I took a couple of years ago of my friends Burmese cat and sought them out. I picked up my Carbethello pastel pencils, a piece of A4 ArtSpectrum ColourFix Smooth light blue paper and spent a happy few hours just puddling away at this. Some Sennelier warm white soft pastel was added for highlights and whiskers.
This particular cat is a middle aged Burmese who likes nothing better than to laze around and watch the world. He is a rather reserved cat and is selective about who he allows to pet him (not me!). One of his favourite spots is a sort of hammock shaped cat chair lined with sheepskin. That sheepskin is almost the exact colour of his fur, so I didn't try to define the difference between his fur and the sheepskin too much, but concentrated more on the face. His squinty glare at me when I disturbed his nap to take his photo shows off his stand-offish character.

'Squint' by Linda Weil


No comments:

Post a Comment