Saturday 20 January 2024

Mornington Muster

As told in my previous post, I will be doing a demonstration drawing at the Mornington Art Show on Wednesday January 24, 10am to 12pm, 1pm to 4pm. The convenors requested 'something animal'. I needed to put on my thinking cap because a lot of my recent works have been more 'mechanical' than 'animal'. In fact, I have started working towards my next solo which will be titled 'On Country' which will hopefully have a lot of fun farm machinery.

Keeping to this theme and inspired by season two of Muster Dogs on the ABC, I dug out some old photos of a friends Kelpie and sketched up an idea.

So, this is Tansy, she was only a young dog at that time- she is around 8 or 9 now. I also sourced some shots of mobs of sheep being mustered to add into the background. The sheep are slightly cog shaped which was fun to think about, and I couldn't resist adding a bit of bio-mechanical additions to help Tansy muster those difficult ewes.

'Muster' ©Linda Weil 2024
Planning drawing, final state ready to transfer to 300gsm Lana Hot Press

I quite like using a toned background in my works, usually a tea stain. As this takes some time to dry properly, I have washed in the stain ahead of the demonstration, so the work is prepared for the next steps. I like how the tea color lends itself to the dusty dirt country road.

'Muster' ©Linda Weil 2024, Tea-stained background

So that is the start of this drawing (385 x 285cm). I will work further on this on Wednesday - do come along and see how it progresses!

Demonstration at Mornington Art Show 2024,
Wednesday, Jan 24. 10am - 12pm, 1pm - 4pm

Mornington Art Show
Jan 19 - 26, 2024
Information

No comments:

Post a Comment