Thursday 21 May 2020

Drawing Prompt #4: JD, Rosealie, Silke and me

JD

It seems a few of you are enjoying this week's prompt. That's great!
JD starts us off with delightful sketch of her son and daughter aged 5 and 7 in their school uniforms flashing cheeky grins that show off their missing teeth. Bet the tooth fairy had a financial crisis that week! lol. This has been drawn in the Windsor Newton 200gsm sketchbook using Faber Castell graphite 2H, HB, 4B, and B pencils. JD has done this drawing freehand from a photographic reference. She has done an excellent job with proporportions and placement of features. Hands are tricky and JD has resovled these quite well. She has a light touch and the suggestion of blond hair on the little girl is good- JD has allowed the pencil lines to create shadows of hair rather than making the pencil lines be the hairs - this works well. Fabrics are handled well with a lot of attention to detail.
 I find the eye shapes a bit 'pointy', remember JD, eyes are not pointed at both ends. Also, the tone on the lips is quite dark in comparison to the rest of the work. As this is linear sketch I think you could have just a suggestion of tone to express the shadow cast by the lips. Next time think of placement of your subjects on your page as you have run out of room at the bottom, but that is a very minor issue. This is a great sketch and it demonstrates real life and joy in the subjects. 

'Sarah and Will' by JD

Rosalie
Rosalie joins us for the first time this week with two drawings. Her first submission is an older work from five years ago that she did for for a friend of his daughter greeting a quokka. This was drawn with Faber Castell watercolour pencils in the dry state on Canson Mi Tiens toned paper. Rosalie has captured the scene and the pose very well. I won't comment on technique as this is one of Rosalie's earlier works and I am aware of how much she has progressed since drawing this. Her ability is obivous in this older work and what is captivating is the child's pose. 

'Lili and friend' by Rosalie

Rosalie found she liked the concept of a child grasping her foot so she found another photo she had of her niece with a simialr pose. This an engaging composition created using primarily 4B pencil on Fabriano Hot Press 300gsm. This (and the above) is a freehand drawing and in both cases the proportions and shapes are well observed. Feet and hands are tricky things to draw and Rosalie has done a respectable rendering of the shapes. Baby hands are pudgy and she has tried to show this. The little toes curl and clench in a typically baby way. I am familliar with Rosalie's works and I have been advising her to push her tonal values. She has done that here to good effect. I like this drawing - she didn't give it a name, so I named it for her. I hope she approves!

'This little piggy...' by Rosalie

Silke
 Silke has drawn two childhood momentos of her own. A much loved, battered and balding teddy bear and a favourite book 'The Neverending Story'. Silke tells me she was a bit of a bookworm as a child - a kindred spirit! Using Creatacolor oil based pencils in sanguine tones she has created a freehand drawing from life. The soft sanguine and umber tones really suit the feel of this memory drawing. That teddy looks like he has had lots of love lavished on him! Cobbled stiching holds him together and his wee button eyes shine brightly. The composition is balanced and is effective. I think the perspective of the book shape is not quite right and this is accentuated by the slanted rectangle border. If the border had been more square the lower angle of the book may have worked better. Because the book angle lines up with the angle of the teddy's feet I get the feeling Ted is pushing the frame over. I am hoping that the photo Silke sent me was taken at a slight anle and the photo is slightly distorted, because this is a sweet work that packs a lot of emotional resonance for me. 

'Childhood Momentos' by Silke

Me

 To finish today's post, I thought you would like to see something I am currently working on. This is a WIP for the Artaviso challenge 'Door to Door'. I haven't quite met the deadline for their first intake, but will hopefully get it completed this weekend. Read all about it on the link - my page was about the manufacturing of toys. One of the toys is 'Bronco', a ride-on mechanical pony. This is the top right corner of my A4 drawing. Staedtler Mars graphite 4H to 4B on 250gsm Lana Bristol. And yes, the child riding Bronco is based on me at 7 years looking very annoyed. Probably at the terrible bowl cut my dad insisted on giving me. lol.

Detail from 'Toybox' by Linda Weil


1 comment: