Sunday 17 May 2020

Drawing Prompt #3: Silke

Silke

This just arrived in my email and although it is late it deserves a look. Silke has drawn a collection of colourful leaves from her pear tree. It is a nice composition and brightly coloured. She has not told me what type of pencils she has used, although it looks like watercolour pencil in wash and dry technique. The build up of colour is quite intense. I do like the brightness and intensity, it is bold and full of drama. But the build up of colour wash is rather heavy which has created a some difficulty adding dry colour and tone onto the top of the wash. Maybe with that amount of intense colour wash little or no dry work was needed. I do think the heavy black shadow is far too dark and overpowering. I would suggest that a wash of dark blue or a soft graphite grey fade would have been more suitable. Still, this is a powerful drawing with great colour. 

Pear tree leaves by Silke



No comments:

Post a Comment