Wednesday 20 May 2020

Drawing Prompt #4: JaneO

Everyone welcome JaneO!

JaneO has joined our little drawing group and I hope she enjoys drawing along with us all. JaneO tells me she has not done a lot of drawing before; she says she has done a bit here and there over the years but isn't overly familiar with many drawing techniques.  For this week's theme she has done a drawing of her niece Chole on her playmat. She has used Derwent graphite pencils HB and B and Derwent Watercolour pencils on Reeves 300gsm watercolour paper.
I must say I really like the bright 'buttons' of the playmat and how the strong colours contrast with the graphite work. It is striking and playful. JaneO has drawn Chole freehand (no tracing) and she has done a very good job with facial proportions. She has demonstrated a good grasp of the features, size, shape and position. One eye is a little larger than the other and the mouth is a bit skewed but the little face is quite sweet and I suspect looks a lot like the subject. I think this drawing would benifit from more tonal work in the graphite areas to build more form. JaneO has used some tone in the forehead and nose and here and there, but more could be used. This is especially needed in the collar of the romper suit to stop the collar blending into the head. I do understand JaneO's hesitation in adding too much tone tone to the romper as the Reeves watercolour paper is quite rough and difficult to work with in pencil. I would struggle to achieve tones with this paper so I don't want JaneO to fiddle with this drawing too much.  There is a danger of making the graphite areas look 'dirty' on this paper. The drawing works well and I think JaneO has done a nice job on her first drawing prompt! 

'My Niece' by JaneO

No comments:

Post a Comment