Saturday 8 August 2020

Week 13: Jean, Don & KatK - *Updated with KM*

 Jean

Jean and her husband travel to the Victorian Snowfields regularly and pass this wonderful old Oxley Flourmill building along the way. I am familliar with this building as well and have often thought it would make an excellent subject for a drawing - you beat me to it, Jean! She has used Inktense pencil washes on Arches 300gsm cold press with a black Adel fineliner pen for detail. Jean discovered that with Inktense washes you are 'stuck' with your final result and must plan your drawing and perspective first - it has actually worked out well Jean, as I said in an earlier post, drawing the perspectives in these older buildings is forgiving as everything is slightly out of plumb anyway. She was also concerned that the colours may have come out too strongly, but I really like the effect and think it works well. It is nice to see you go bold!

Lovely work Jean.

Old Oxley Flourmill by Jean

Now, I did say that Week 12 submissions were closed - but last week I gave Jean a hard critique on her 'hand' drawing. Now I would like to show and congratulate her on taking those suggestions and trying again with a different pose. Her second attempt at drawing her hand is far more successful in proportion, tone and observation. The thumb is a tad bit thin, but then, Jeans hands are slender compared to my stubby paws so I believe this is a much more accurate portrayal. Well done Jean.

My left hand - second attempt by Jean

Don

Don is never afraid to take on a challenge - and here he has done a wonderful drawing of Crickhowell Castle in South Walks on an A3 sheet of 210 smooth. A3!!! My goodness!  As well, he has used quite fine pens to draw this with, a Unipin 0.1, a Copic 0.03 and 0.05. 

I can really appreciate the brick/stone techique Don has used here. Although he has drawn each stone individually it is done in a looser almost scrumble technique that is very effective. His observation of the perspective, particularly of the very difficult rounded tower is well done. Use of thick and thin lines to create interest works well. Don tells me he found it difficult to create tone with just black line not easy, yet it succeeds well. If you wished Don, you could have considered using a light tone wash of ink instead, and you could still do so over the dried permanent inks if you wished. Not really needed  though, this is a adept and pleasing drawing.


Crickhowell Castle by Don


KatK

When KatK told me she was going to try stippling/pointilism in her ink drawing, I must admit I sighed and rolled my eyes a bit. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the effect of ink stippling and have great admiration for those who have the patience and stamina to produce a work with the technique, it is just so darned time consuming and I didn't think KatK really understood what she was getting into. I am afraid I may have been somewhat discouraging to her

So, I take it all back - KatK has proved me wrong once more and her first attempt at an ink stipple drawing is pretty darned good - she says she did find it challenging but enjoyed the process.

KatK has used a photo she took of a large bronze statue by Igor Mitoraj when she was last in Sicily. To create this work she has used Art Spectrum 210gsm Draw and Wash paper and a Unipen 0.5 and a Staedler Pigment Liner 0.1. There is a nice mix of techniques in this drawing, linework, stippling and crosshatching. I think her use of stippling is effective and works well combined with the deep cracks. There are two suggestions I would make on this work - the first is that we have no indication of the actual size of this statue, which is very large indeed. The second is that the drawing is 'floating' and a viewer unfamilliar with the original bronze, which lays on its side, may well think that the work should be rotated 90° clockwise. The simplest way to fix both these things would be to add a ground, a few whisps of grass and stones would seat the work as well as indicate scale. 

A good piece KatK and I hope you do some more stippling in future!

Igor Mitoraj Sculpture in Sicily by KatK

*KM

Just 10 minutes after posting all of the above, KM came through with this delightful drawing of the Colosseum from a photo she took back in 2014. While I think it is a great drawing I have to growl at KM because it is not in INK as the brief asked, tsk tsk. But we will forgive her as it is an expressive and evocotive work. Created using Mars Pastle pencils, Derwent blue pencils for the sky, and 4B graphite for darks on 210 gsm. I do like the way KM has been developing her style and gaining confidence to explore and push her drawings further.  Nicely done!

The Colosseum by KD

*REMINDER* If you are still working on your Week 13 prompt please send in today (Sunday, Melbourne Australia time). It will be posted early next week. If you cannot complete by today you can still send it in as a WIP.

No comments:

Post a Comment